[Merkaartor] Turning waypoints into nodes

Hugh Barnes list.osm at hughbris.com
Mon Oct 13 22:37:33 BST 2008

What is the recommended way to turn a GPS waypoint (loaded locally – does it
make it any difference?) into a new node?

Here's the background. It's taken me a while to work out. I selected the
waypoint, deleted its default tags, and in this case, tagged it
as "amenity=bicycle_parking". Uploading it, I got a 404 error in a dialogue
box. I actually assumed this was the API service endpoint returning 404, so
decided to wait a bit. This happened enough that it finally dawned on me that
this is the API responding - the wiki confirms that this is the response
provided when updating resources that don't exist in the database. (I always
thought "412 Precondition Failed" covered these cases, but the API is right.)

OK, so I looked at the online documentation and it doesn't seem to be covered.
UI guessing fun happened. My strongest guess was to select the waypoint and
then Create->Node from the menu. A few variations. Short of (I am sure this
is problematic …) adding my new node right next to that one, so close it's a
blade of grass, I give up.

Thoughts, list?

Cheers - Hugh