[Merkaartor] WinCE version

Peter Conrad osm at mocacher.de
Sun Oct 19 22:56:26 BST 2008

I just tried the CAB on an iPAQ with Windows Mobile 6.
On the very first start, Merkaartor crashed when opening a GPX file
(about 500 trackpoints). I had to reset the device. I thought the crash
was due to the portrait screen resolution, so I toggled to wide format
(should be 640x480 then). This time loading the track worked and I saw
it on a pretty blank screen (no tool bar, no menus). Pushing the map
around was no issue, but where is the zoom? Do I really have to go to
menu -> view -> zoom in?
Then I downloaded some data for that track. It showed up pretty good,
but selecting a road is a pain. Now for the road properties: go to
window -> docks -> toggle properties and the propoperties dock appeared
containing correct data but it covered the entire screen, no ok button
visible, I had to use the ok hard key on the device to get rid of it.
The preferences menu is way too wide. The ok and close button is
invisible and only accessible if you push the window to the left. The
tab entries looked good, though. BTW: I don't understand why the
preferences dialog in the "big" Windows version displays the tabs in a
single row letting me scroll to see the last tab while I'm sitting in
front of a pretty large display ;-). Isn't there a way to have multi row
tabs? This would probably solve the issue for CE, too.
The program crashed a second time while fiddeling around with the
properties dock. The screen just went blank white.
And it just crashed again after trying to open the layer dock. :-(
I even tried to draw an new road. Well, I had a delay of about one
second between click and draw and the distance measurement always showed
0 meters. And I didn't find a way to leave road creation mode...
Oh, an another note regarding the UI: the toolbar buttons are way too
large for a mobile device (either text or icon should do). A Zoom In /
Zoom Out button in the toolbar would be helpful for the mobile version,
too.
Anyway: it basically worked on this device, but I think it is pretty
much unusable (hate to say so). But it looks pretty cool, though!

Regards,

Peter