[Merkaartor] Revised OSB (i.e. OSM binary) file format

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Tue Sep 2 16:55:40 BST 2008

Hi All,

I've just committed a revised version of the "OSB" file format.

This one allows to "load" huge OSM map with relatively low and constant
memory footprint by reading the data from disk as needed.
I've just tested loading all of Belgium on my WinCE in about 5mb :-)

The format subdivides the world in regions of about 50km and then further in
tiles of about 1km which are loaded as required.

Don't expect the format to be stable, as performances needs to be tuned.

The next step will be to be able to download the whole planet with one file
per region, with the choices of regions to download.

Regards
- Chris -