[Merkaartor] Refactoring GPS/ directory

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Sun Sep 7 15:51:26 BST 2008

> Great. Do you think it is possible to remove the polling for stopLoop
> inside QGPSComDevice? Since this part is mostly going to be used for
> mobile devices, waking up every 100ms is really penalizing if it is not
> needed (GPS changes normally only come every 1s). I used the thread
> event loop in QGPSSDDevice it works quite well.

Mmm.. I don't follow you... What polling on stopLoop? You mean the check of
the variable? Where does the 100ms you speak about come from?

> The only tricky part is
> to make sure that the slots are really executed in the GPS-thread and
> not inside the main program. If you want I can take a shot at it, but I
> would probably break the serial port parsing since I don' t have a
> device to test that.

I thought that all GPSes exposed a serial interface, even the internal
ones... How do you communicate with yours?
Anway, AFAIK, serial is the only way to access the GPS on WinCE and Win32 in
general. So you definitely should try to avoid breaking it ;-)

- Chris -