[Merkaartor] Translations

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Thu Sep 11 11:36:39 BST 2008

2008/9/11 Boris Cornet <BorisC at eunet.at>

> How about plain ascii .lng files (ini style, or xml) for translations.
> This gives the user maximum flexibility, and will probably boost the
> number of available languages.
>
> I also suggest that the program parses the selected language file and
> inserts placeholders for all words that are not yet covered.
>
> Actually, if you want to go that far as to customize language file, you can
pretty much do it yourself the Qt way.

Use the builtin "Linguist" program from the Qt distribution, open a ".qm"
file from the Merkaartor SVN, change whatever you want, save, run the
"lrelease" program to generate ".ts" files, replace the ones coming from
Merkaartor and you are done.

There is no way we'll build a complete I18N system replacing the nice one
from Qt just for you ;-)
Honestly, I don't care the number of languages. If someone wants a
translation, it's easy enough to do as it is now.

- Chris -