[Merkaartor] Area Labels

Colin Marquardt colin at marquardt-home.de
Thu Sep 25 19:04:46 BST 2008

Am Donnerstag, den 25.09.2008, 11:53 +0200 schrieb Chris Browet:

> I myself do not find the result very nice.

Agreed, but for mapping in unknown areas, I found it more helpful to
have them at all, even if rather ugly.

> I'm thinking about adding an "Area" switch in the Style editor, label
> section.
> If the switch would be on, roads labels would be treated like
> trackpoints, with the "anchor point" in the center of the bounding
> box.
> It would be ignored for trackpoints.

That would certainly improve things for most shapes. It will fail for
objects where the bounding box center is not part of the object
(U-shaped buildings come to mind), but that's a minor thing.
Osmarender has this clever label placement algorithm by bobkare which is
also handling strange shapes, but it's probably not worth the added CPU
time and implementation effort.

Cheers
  Colin