[Merkaartor] open big osm files

Pablo Angulo pangard at cancamusa.net
Mon Aug 3 13:01:27 BST 2009

Uau, this osmosis is not easy to use. To cut an area, I have to use a so
called "polygon file".

osmosis --read-xml file="planet-latest.osm" --bounding-polygon file="country2pts.txt" --write-xml file="germany.osm"

I'm leaving soon, so I'll investigate no further, but thanks for your
tip. Next travel, I'll do the map stuff some more time in advance.

I think merkaartor would be useful for travel if they took care of such
files. Merkaartor is great for offline navigation and I've found nothing
similar. However,  it's a pain to download sections of the map one by
one, give them different names that identify the disconnected maps...
Would it be too hard for merkaartor to load into memory only the part of
the xml file that is needed?

Thanks