[Merkaartor] Feedback (or: why I refuse to update from 0.13.2)

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Thu Dec 10 11:47:32 GMT 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:12, Boris Cornet <borisC at osm-at.org> wrote:

> Hello Chris!
>
> Today (Thursday, December 10, 2009) at 04:47 you commented:
> > Done and commited.
> great!
> > Tell me if you think it is better.
> If I only could! Can you please prepare a windows binary?
>
> > There might be a zoom problem related to your "Tiles were sharper"
> remark, but I don't notice it.
> > If you think there is a problem, please be more specific; include a
> > BBOX and compare with the maps.yahoo.com site to pinpoint a potential
> problem.
>
> Yes there seems to be a general zoom problem. Please have a look at
> the two attached screenshots (cyclemap & yahoo).
> v0.13.2 is on the left, v0.14 on the right.

If you go to View-Projection in 0.13, you just have 'background" and
"mercator" right?
(I do not remember if 0.13 had the new projection code or not... )

If so, that explain your complain:
with the "background projection", the zoom level were locked on the various
zoom level of the background imagery.
In this case, the projection was actually driven by the imagery, which was,
IMHO, ugly.

In 0.14, the projection code was rewritten and now, in any case, the imagery
fits the projection requested (and configured) by Merkaartor and the zoom
levels are free.

As a side effect, zoom is no more driven by the imagery and the imagery is
scaled to fit the current viewport. This leads to less sharp images at
intermediary zoom levels.

I'll see if there is a mean to be able to lock the zoom levels based on the
imagery ones.

- Chris -