[Merkaartor] Problems with install on OSX

Boris Cornet borisC at osm-at.org
Tue Dec 22 23:15:43 GMT 2009

Hi!

>>> The upload auto generated comment is information that you can work
>>> out any way from the changeset meta info.

I object to this, partially.
The ADD:xx UPD:xx DEL:xx info is really useful. You can see the amount
of edits at a glimpse. The bounding box however is not human readable
(unless you *really* are a mapping freak ;-) I wouldn't miss it.

> I'd recommend either using some major place name or leaving it
> blank. Know where you have been editing is more useful that the
> other info that can be deduced a lot easier automatically. You could
> do a reverse geocode to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim

Brilliant idea, if this should work. Otherwise the GeoDB names within
the bounding box - or the closest one - could deliver the desired info.

>>> It also doesn't remember the last string entered by the user.
Right! If a user enters a comment, it should be retained. Maybe a
number could be added on subsequent uploads.
So IMHO there should be:
 * the auto-generated info by default
 * the user typed info (if user cared to provide some)
    * <usertext> ADD:xx UPD:xx DEL:xx
    * <usertext> #002 ADD:xx UPD:xx DEL:xx
    * <usertext> #003 ADD:xx UPD:xx DEL:xx
 * a button to restore the default behavior

--
So long,
   Boris