[Merkaartor] Alternative, simpler GPX track appearance

Yves Goergen nospam.list at unclassified.de
Tue Feb 10 19:30:18 GMT 2009

(Full-quoting for reference only.)

On 09.02.2009 23:08 CE(S)T, Norbert Wenzel wrote:
> On 02/09/2009 09:39 PM, Yves Goergen wrote:
>> Currently GPX tracks are mainly displayed with their track points/nodes
>> and a thin line between them. [...]
>>
>> * Who needs the nodes? They are not anyhow related to certain points of
>> interest, usually. [...]
>
> As long as drawing a new road also snaps to the GPX line instead of the
> nodes I wouldn't need them.

I have not tested my patch with snappy GPX nodes in any way. I don't
need them and I don't like them. I draw everything myself, taking the
GPX display as a hint. This would need to be sorted out should this
patch be used.

> But I think it is or was possible to split these GPX roads like every
> other road. Then you could easily create a way out of your GPX road,
> which wasn't the best approximation, but was quite useable, depending on
> how the original tracks were logged.
>
> In most of my cases the simplified roads are unusable, because I tend to
> walk roads multiple times, when recording all features, and so the GPX
> track is hard to "understand" for an algorithm. So hopefully the GPX
> line in your patch, is the actual GPX line, as it is now, just without
> the nodes.
>
>> * Who needs the "slope"? Is it of any use to know whether a track was
>> going up- or downwards?
>
> I wasn't aware of this, but it really helped a lot just yesterday, when
> drawing a ski ressort. I didn't actually think about it, but it was
> really easy to distinguish the lifts from the pistes this way.
>
> (Anyway, I have to admit, that's not my "daily work" with Merkaartor.)
>
>> Since I expect there are people who like the nodes and thin lines
>> better, I'd suggest to add this altered appearance only as an option.
>> [...]
>>
>> What do you think about it?
>
> I'd be fine with this, as long as the option is really available, which,
> as far as I understood, seems to be not the case right now with your patch.

Right, the preference code would need to be added. This is only a
preview-quality patch so everybody can see/test what I'm talking about.