[Merkaartor] Launchpad translations

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sun Feb 15 16:54:20 GMT 2009

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009, Chris Browet wrote:

> - There seem to be a notion of "synchronization" in Launchpad. I guess
>   this means uploading the "merged" translations back into Launchpad,
>   right? Who/When, then?

Not only translation but also the template.

Who? I
When? The text says it.

The text can be changed with the icon behind it :-)

Everybody can do it. In the right menu you find the "upload" feature.
When uploading single files you can choose if they are "upstream" or only
translations. tar.gz-files are probably always treated as upstream or this
is done by the people doing the review - I don't know exactly.

NOTE that at the moment uploads fail randomly or do not include all data.
Reuploading the file again helps. This seems to be a bigger issue in
Launchpad which hopefully is fixed soon (as well as the issue, that you
can't get rid of suggestion and keep the current text).

> - For applying translations to the Merkaartor trunk, what is the
>   workflow in JOSM? Does anybody, from times to times, just apply the po
>   to the trunk or is it more structured?

>From time to time I do that. For josm nearly every weekend after I
checkin the patches from bugtracker. If someone else will do for
merkaartor I will be more than happy. Have enough other things to do.

To attract translators the sync times should not be too long. And during a
release cycle they should get a bit faster I think (we have no real
releases for JOSM).

It would be possible to add a "upload to launchpad" into makefile but
currently I don't think it is worth the programming work to do so.

And merkaartor should make a link to Launchpad more prominent. JOSM
translations increased a lot after I added links at the webpage and the
startup screen of JOSM. We have 20 languages for JOSM now and probably 21
when the translator into Arabic continues as he did last days.

Ciao