[Merkaartor] Merging nodes by moving etc.

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Sun Jan 11 01:15:35 GMT 2009

Hi Peter

- Merging nodes just by moving is basically a very nice idea. But always
> asking the user with a dialog if merging should be performed or not is
> killing the workflow. I'd rather have it always or never (option). Or is
> it already an option? I haven't found it then.

There is no such option, yet, but is trivial to add. Please open a ticket.
I envision to add an additional preferences tab with actions default.
The second candidate for this tab would be for the "remove children nodes"
when deleting a road...

> - And I definitely don't want it when moving an existing node to a track
> point (snap to it). In this case merging should be not performed since
> changing a track point is not useful IMHO and there is actually nothing
> to merge. Asking the user if moving an existing node to another existing
> node might be ok.

Mmm... I don't think it is a problem if we are sure the node remaining is
not the GPX one.
I plan to implement read-only layers for this kind of behaviour, where the
GPX layers can be made non-snapable as a whole.

> - I've been pretty surprised seeing my tracks beeing interrupted on
> straight high speed segments now. I finally found the option to change
> the distance to some higher value. I think the default value (100m?) is
> not useful or even that feature beeing activated by default is not
> useful. My Garmin device is configured at the highest possible track
> point rate (it is still interpolating). Driving at 100 km/h on German
> primary or secondary roads with straight segments leads to tracks beeing
> displayed interrupted when using the default setting. I suppose that
> newcomers to Merkaartor will interpret this as a display bug until they
> find the corresponding option in the preferences dialog.

I remember some list discussion about this, but not the outcome of it.
Please open a ticket as a reminder.

Regards
- Chris -