[Merkaartor] How to close way_29502364?

Yves Goergen nospam.list at unclassified.de
Sat Jan 17 20:05:56 GMT 2009

On 17.01.2009 20:14 CE(S)T, Chris Browet wrote:
> This is a tricky one. Normally, it is not quite recommended to have a
> "segment" part of differen areas.

I've read the forums for this very question and the result was that
everybody's doing it another way. So my personal 'standard' now is to
not connect roads with areas because it's displayed strange in
Merkaartor, and actually the node of a road describes its centre, which
is not exactly where the area begins. But I do merge nodes for areas
because areas exactly connect to eath other, there's no gap between
them. If I use separate nodes, the gap will even be visible in the
Mapnik view, which is disturbing. Also, moving a node always keeps both
areas together, you don't have to move two separate nodes to move an
area border.

> However, you can also put plain OSM api url like:
>
>      http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5/way/29502364/full
>
> which will pull out the way you're looking and its children (i.e. the
> nodes). (Note that you have to zoom the layer to show the features; I'll
> have to change that to make it automatic)
>
> In this instance, you'll get only the way in question and you will be
> able to close it the usual way, as the other area connected to the node
> was not downloaded.

Thank you, that did the trick. The road is now closed. Let's see what it
looks like next Thursday...