[Merkaartor] Select all nodes

Matias D'Ambrosio angasule at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 18:39:25 BST 2009

On Wednesday 01 July 2009 05:28:43 Chris Browet wrote:
> 2009/7/1 Matias D'Ambrosio <angasule at gmail.com>
>
> > On Monday 29 June 2009 20:07:54 you wrote:
> > > No, there isn't such a function. What is your purpose in having all
> > > nodes of a way selected?
> >
> >  Adding them to a relation (so that a role can be assigned to each node).
>
> Still not convinced. Why would you want to add every single node of a way
> to a relation rather than the way itself?
 To specify a role (= data of some kind) for the specific node, which only
applies to the relationship (and would not make sense to add to the node
itself).

> Problem with OSM data model is that it merges 2 different concepts
> (linestring nodes and POI) into 1 object (a node).
 I agree, but we have to work with what's available.

> For me, a node being both a linestring node and a POI should be an
> exception, so I hardly see a way full of POIs (and I'm convinced only POIs
> should be added to relations)
 A touristic route could have a duration assigned to each node, for example;
this kind of data does not belong to the POI itself.
 Also an interpolating numbering scheme could use nodes as data points in a
way. Many countries, including mine, use interpolating street numbers, and
cities are laid out in a grid (for a nice example, look at La Plata, slightly
south-east of Buenos Aires, Argentina). The only way I see to specify such a
scheme is with relations including both ways and nodes.

> >  Another case would be to move a large subset of the nodes in a way (the
> > same
> > could be done by selecting the nodes that shoulding move, move them
> > relative
> > to the others, then move the entire way, but it's awkward).
>
> Could be awkward, but it's way to go (or rather move the entire way, then
> adjust the needed nodes).
 Probably not a very common case, anyway, but my mind was wandering :-)