[Merkaartor] 0.14-PRE1 and authenticating proxy support

Martin Feuersänger m at feuersaenger.de
Thu Jul 2 11:43:07 BST 2009

Hi all,

I tried out 0.14-PRE1 yesterday, for the first time on Windows (using the
prebuild debug version).
However, I was behind a Microsoft ISA 2006 proxy. I gave hostname, port,
username, and password to merkaartor but I only got a "http request
failed" when trying to download.
Since there is no other feedback on the communication with the internet
provided by merkaartor I analyzed the traffic a bit using wireshark. It
looks like authentication packets sent out to the proxy are ok (at least
they are identical to the packets Firefox is sending out to authenticate).
But then the proxy throws a 502 Error saying this:

Error Code: 502 Proxy Error. The specified Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) port
is not allowed. ISA Server is not configured to allow SSL requests from
this port. Most Web browsers use port 443 for SSL requests.

>From there on I'm lost.

Is anyone able to shed some light on what is going on and how to get
merkaartor working with the ISA proxy?

Appreciate the help & cheers,
  Martin