[Merkaartor] 0.14-PRE1 and authenticating proxy support

Thomas Siegmund siegmund at develogen.com
Thu Jul 2 15:55:07 BST 2009

Hi everybody,

I'm having problems with proxies too, using current svn builds on linux and Qt
4.5.2. A few months ago everything was fine, but unfortunately I do not no when
the problems started.

I have modified line 376/7 in src/Preferences/MerkaartorPreferences.cpp to read

#if QT_VERSION > 0x040500
		proxy.setType(QNetworkProxy::HttpCachingProxy);

and then tried HttpCachingProxy, HttpProxy and Socks5Proxy. Both HttpProxy and
HttpCachingProxy fail here because they issue a "CONNECT" which the proxy
does not accept. If I understand the Qt documentation
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/qnetworkproxy.html right, only the HttpProxy
should use CONNECT. The Socks5Proxy works for me using an ssh tunnel bypassing
the proxy.

The proxy setup code in MerkaartorPreferences looks pretty much like the
example code in the Qt documentation. For reference I have also looked into
KDEs Marble, which has started to work here with the latest version. Before it
failed on the proxy too.

http://lxr.kde.org/source/KDE/kdeedu/marble/src/marble_part.cpp

It now loads the same tiles which Merkaartor failes to load in it's download
dialog. Marble uses a HttpProxy, but I don't see much difference in the code.

Puzzled,

Thomas