[Merkaartor] Track logs disappearing on zoom out, and window size

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Thu Mar 19 09:46:30 GMT 2009

Hi,

1. I find that if I zoom out enough to see a whole track log,
> the track log disappears and there's no way to make it visible
> except to zoom back in. For instance, download this tracklog
> and run Merkaartor on it: http;//shallowsky.com/tmp/boccardo-tr.gpx
> By default Merkaartor starts up just slightly too small to see
> the whole track, but if I zoom one step out (with the mousewheel),
> the track disappears. How do I make it show up at wider zooms?

Are you also experiencing the same issue as
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/merkaartor/2009-March/001469.html

If so:
- If your setting is at 0, update to latest SVN or use the workaround.
- if you want the functionality (i.e. split track segments when they are
more than x kilometers apart), set a reasonable value (more than 1km,
probably)

On the other way, if you never want to see the track segments, disable them
in "View - Show track segments"

The root cause of this as that, from a certain "altitude" on, only segments
are diplayed to ease the clutter. If the "Don't split..." settings is set to
a too low value (or 0 before yesterday's patch), a segment is created for
each point and thus cannot be displayed.
Bottom line, from a certain zoom level, nothing is shown!

> 2. Is there any way to restrict Merkaartor to a size that fits on my
> display?  It seems to have a minimum height set: xprop says
>
>                program specified minimum size: 429 by 1118

I can assure you Merkaartor run very well on my 1024x600 netbook. This
probably is or was a problem with you window manager.
Assuming you cannot resize nor go maximized, could please retry after
removing the "[MainWindow]" section in your
"~/.config/BartVanhauwaert/Merkaartor.conf"

- Chris -