[Merkaartor] Various GPS issues

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Sun Sep 13 15:43:55 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 06:19:13PM +0200, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 12:31:19PM +0200, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
> > With merkaartor 0.14 (openSUSE 11.1 i586) I'm using gpsfake to feed NMEA data
> > through gpsd. I observed various issues doing this.
> >
> > - recording the track does not work at all. Even the file is not
> >   created. Might be related to the issue above.
>
> Scanning through the sources it seems this feature has only been implemented
> when using a direct connection instead of gpsd, i.e. when using class
> QGPSComDevice instead of QGPSDDevice. Not sure why.

I believe the reason is, that when connecting to gpsd the usual gpsd output
(r=0) instead of NMEA (r=1) is used. Thus the information about NMEA sentences
is not available at all to write a file in such a format.

Not sure if it would make sense to write a file in gpsd output format. I
couldn't find any tool to convert the gpsd output to NMEA or any other GPS
format. But it shouldn't be that hard to write such a converter, which makes
use of the values in gpsd output format and puts them into the appropriate
fields of NMEA sentences like gprmc, gpgga, gpvtg, gpgsa, etc. Then this file
could be read in again by merkaartor or converted to any other format via
gpsbabel e.g.

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0            Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479          D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de            Germany