[Merkaartor] Various GPS issues

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Sun Sep 13 15:52:27 BST 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 01:14:18AM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just another problem I see:
>
> - gpsd will switch the output format soon.

You mean http://gpsd.berlios.de/protocol-transition.html, also announced on
gpsd-dev at lists.berlios.de/gpsd-users at lists.berlios.de on Wed, 26 Aug 2009,
right?

> While I guess there will still be
> support for the old one, you should really consider to use libgpsmm or geoclue
> instead of trying to parse gps sentences manually. Doing a proper arsing the
> output form the various GPS models is error-prone and a lot of work to get it
> right, better use a library which is well tested.

Well, I didn't plan to rewrite the gpsd code. :-) But I agree it would make
sense to use at least libgps.

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0            Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479          D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de            Germany