[Merkaartor] [Talk-GB] OS OpenData StreetView Tiles now available

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Wed Apr 7 09:45:29 BST 2010

I'm not too sure the reprojection from EPSG:27700 (OSGB36) to EPSG:900913
(Google) went perfect.

In Merkaartor, it is possible to load the OS Street View tiles directly and
to use the EPSG:27700 projection (see below).

Check
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/x93nMda7mBrfra8AKbrj5g?feat=directlinkfor
example.
Now compare with the same area in potlach using the TMS:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bHXkZ1jOB7v_JpiUmMlE5w?feat=directlink

It seems the TMS is constantly shifted a couple of meters SE (this assuming
the OSM'ers are right, of course).

For clients supporting multiple projections, wouldn't it be best to have a
WMS (preferably a WMS-C) allowing to choose between the 2 projections (+
EPSG:4326, maybe)? It might be that
http://os.openstreetmap.org/wms/map.php?source=sv& allows it, but I can't
get the capabilities...

Regards
- Chris -

How to load OS Street view tiles in Merkaartor:
- Be sure the .TIF files and the corresponding .TAB are in the same
directory
- "Layers" - "Map - ..." - "GeoTIFF" - "Load image..." and select the
tile(s) to load
- "Layers" - "Map - GeoTIFF" - "Zoom" to center on the tile

How to use the EPSG:27700 (OSGB36) projection in Merkaartor:
- if using svn trunk, just "View" - "Set projection" - "OSGB36 (EPSG:27700)"
- if using 0.15, first add the projection by going to
~/.merkaartor/Projections.xml and adding the following projection line:

> <Projection name="OSGB36 (EPSG:27700)">+proj=tmerc +lat_0=49 +lon_0=-2
> +k=0.999601 +x_0=400000 +y_0=-100000 +ellps=airy +datum=OSGB36
> +no_defs</Projection>