[Merkaartor] Closing open areas?

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Fri Aug 27 21:01:39 BST 2010

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Manuel Reimer wrote:

> "Dirk Stöcker" wrote:
>>  I fixed the example way. In this case there was an overlay segment at the
>>  end of the way.
>
> But you didn't use Merkaartor to do this, right?

No, JOSM (I'm maintainer of JOSM, so I also use it :-). But I now tried in
merkaartor and it works alike:

- Split the way at any position except the two "end" points
- Split one of the overlapping ways at their overlapping point
- Remove the overlapping way segment
- Join the correct ways

JOSM has a little advantage, that you can select a way segment to delete,
so the second and third step can be combined.

> Problem is, that I, after several tries, also found this "overlay segment"
> but wasn't able to touch it with Merkaartor at all. No way to select the last
> point, to delete it.

Deleting the point always means you delete them from all ways, which is
not desired.

I found it hard to select the correct way segment of the overlap in
merkaartor. JOSM introduced a "middle click"-menu to cycle through
elements which do react to the same click. This made selection of
hidden elements much easier. In merkaartor I used selection box and then
trial-and-error from the selection list until I had the wanted way.

Ciao