[Merkaartor] importing shapefiles and maintaining original tabular column names(without the underscores)

Samat K Jain lists at samat.org
Sat Aug 28 04:44:52 BST 2010

On Friday, August 27, 2010 09:18:17 pm Eric Jarvies wrote:
> In my particular case, Ideally I would like to export 'OSM' formatted
> shapefiles from my primary GIS application, for subsequent use in
> Merkaator to import into OSM, in which case I've specifically named those
> table columns to meet OSM's tag convention.

I do similar, but I've a different workflow:

(1) Export from GIS application into shp, making sure to use WGS84. I don't do
any other modifications to tables/tags.
(2) Use ogr2osm to convert the shapefile to an OSM document. With ogr2osm, you
can create a "translation function" that will programmatically convert table
values into OSM tags.
(3) Load the OSM document into Merkaartor, review, and do clean-ups (simplify
ways to remove extraneous roads, extra tagging, etc).

> Would it be difficult to remote those underscores, and would you be willing
> do to so and make a new build?  When a shapefile is imported into
> Merkaator, it's not yet imported into OSM.  one must copy and paste that
> data from the shapefile layer into the dirty layer, and then upload.

Just a FYI: instead of copying and pasting, you can also select the items on
the shapefile layer, right click (it's also in the menus somewhere), and
select "Force upload".

--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA

I don't believe in sweeping social change being manifested by one person,
unless he has an atomic weapon.
-- Howard Chaykin (135)