[Merkaartor] importing shapefiles and maintaining original tabular column names(without the underscores)

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Sat Aug 28 15:02:36 BST 2010

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 15:09, Eric Jarvies <eric at csl.com.mx> wrote:

> On Aug 28, 2010, at 5:52 AM, Chris Browet wrote:
>

> IMHO, the issue with having such functionality in Merkaartor or any editor
>> is
>> that someone who doesn't clean their data as much as you will abuse it,
>> and
>> end up uploading garbage onto OSM.
>>

> My point exactly.
> However, as a matter of respect for those cleaning up their source file
> before importing in Merkaartor, I'll add a command-line switch allowing the
> import of tags "as-is".
>

> Does this occur frequently?  Meaning, is it a problem that is constantly
> being tackled?  Or does it occur occasionally?  I searched Google using
> keywords like abuse, OSM, OpenStreetMap, bogus data, etc., and did not find
> anything per-day.  After reading(hearing) your's and Samat's responses, it
> of course made sense(the throttling), but I'm curious if this is
> preventative of combative at this point.

No, it's preventive. I'm thinking about inadvertently uploading bogus tags
imported from a random SHP.

> in any event, thank you for adding a command line switch!  How would this
> work exactly?
>
> You'd launch merkaartor with, e.g., a "--importag-tags-as-is" switch and it
wouldn't add the underscores to the tag keys, meaning every single tag
imported from you SHP would be uploaded to OSM. This way, I'm pretty sure
the people launching merkaartor with the switch know what they are doing ;-)

Regards
- Chris -