[Merkaartor] Performance issues

Boris Cornet borisC at osm-at.org
Fri Dec 10 12:20:06 GMT 2010

Hello!

It seems that the described problem happens only at extreme zoom
levels (blame bing for attempting this ;-). There must be a fairly big
amount of date be outside the viewport and the zoomlevel must be very
high (one house filling half the viewport).
Strangely enough, Merkaartor gets slower when less nodes are
displayed.
Under 'normal' conditions, Merkaartor runs smoothly.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Yesterday (Thursday, December 9, 2010) Chris Browet wrote:
> Actually, 0.17 is supposed to be equal or a bit faster than 0.16, and I don't see this on my W7.

> Might be a special case of the place you're mapping. Could you send
> me a mdc exhibiting those slowdowns, please.
>
> - Chris -

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 15:05, Boris Cornet <borisC at osm-at.org> wrote:

>  Hi!
>
>  I'm interested if this is a general problem (maybe it's only WinXP
>  related or even a problem of my own system only)
>
>  V0.17 is a great improvement, but unfortunately editing is *very*
>  slow on my PC (dual-core Pentium e2200, 2,4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, WinXP SP3 -
>  not a slow machine at all). Virtual nodes are off.
>
>  When I start dragging a node, CPU momentarily goes to 100% and there
>  is a very noticeable delay until the node jumps to the drag position.
>  Even worse: if I rest on a position for a while, but continue dragging
>  while the delay, there is another delay. But sometimes I see that the
>  first position was allright, and release the mousebutton, but
>  nevertheless the second drag will happen (although the mouse button is
>  already up). Sometimes merkaartor will misinterpret mouse clicks if
>  they happen within the delay (obviously the mouse up event is not seen
>  in this period).
>
>  There is also a delay when setting a new node while drawing, but this
>  is not a problem. However, the dragging issue IS a problem. Compared
>  to v0.16.3 it is about 10 times slower (there is a very small delay in
>  v0.16 as well). My beloved v0.13.2 did not have any delay at all. I
>  remember v0.15 also was that slow, this is the reason I have never used
>  it.
>
>  --
>  Good Bye,
>     Boris