[Merkaartor] Segmentation fault on file -> print

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Wed Jul 28 11:41:46 BST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:41, Manuel Reimer <Manuel.Spam at nurfuerspam.de>wrote:

> Why does Merkaartor have *that* much segmentation fault bugs?

Maybe because those are not reported?
Reported SEGFAULT (ideally with an open ticket) are always looked upon and
solved as high priority.

If you had some Qt knowledge, you might have noticed that the crash occurs
in the Qt library, self, so you might have thought about giving your system
specs, including the Qt version. In case you didn't notice, Merkaartor is
running on 3 OS'es, a number of different linux distros, and with varying Qt
versions.

I understand you have some programming knowledge. As such, I'm sure you
would have appreciated information like:
- Is the SEGV systematical
- Is it only on this particular piece of map or wherever
- and a BBox or .mdc with the incriminated data, if applicable.

If you really expect a new feature compiled from GIT to work out-of-the-box,
I'm open to (large, very large) donations as to hire a team of professional
testers, and even so, even in the business world, nobody would expect a
non-released feature to work.

Meanwhile YOU (the users) are the testers...

Regards
- Chris -

P.S. On a side note, please understand that I feel offended by this kind of
this-is-a-piece-of-software-crap-written-by-a-donkey phrases for (IMHO) no
good reasons. Would you be so kind as to avoid pointless, offensive comments
in the future, please. Thanks in advance.