[Merkaartor] WMS server setup

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 00:46:42 BST 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Chris Browet <cbro at semperpax.com> wrote:

> Assuming we talk about this:
> http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/auth/english/dataservices/web_map_service.html

Here's a URL that seems to work:

http://wms.ess-ws.nrcan.gc.ca/wms/toporama_en?LAYERS=limits,vegetation,builtup_areas,designated_areas,hydrography,hypsography,water_saturated_soils,landforms,constructions,water_features,road_network,railway,populated_places,structures,power_network,feature_names&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&EXCEPTIONS=application/vnd.ogc.se_inimage&FORMAT=image/png&

Here's a URL that doesn't seem to work:

http://wms.ess-ws.nrcan.gc.ca/wms/toporama_en?LAYERS=limits%2Cvegetation%2Cdesignated_areas%2Chydrography%2Chypsography%2Cfeature_names&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_inimage&FORMAT=image%2Fpng&

Here's another that doesn't seem to work:

http://wms.ess-ws.nrcan.gc.ca/wms/toporama_en?REQUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=wms&VERSION=1.1.1&SRS=epsg:4269&BBOX=-72,45.35,-71.85,45.5&WIDTH=800&HEIGHT=600&FORMAT=image/png&LAYERS=vegetation,builtup_areas,hydrography

These were all copied from pages that purported to be good URLs...

> All you have to do is click an existing WMS and
> - change its name (e.g. "Natural Resources Canada")
> - Put the main url (i.e. "http://atlas.gc.ca/cgi-bin/atlaswms_en?")
> - Click "Get Capabilities"
> - Choose your layers (I tested with "Atlas...-Canada 7.5millions...-15
> Millions subset-Water Areas", as in the site example)
> - Click "Add"
>
> Then select the Wms server as the background layer.
>
> It works for me.

So I had the first URL working last night. Today at work it didn't
work. Tonight back home, it works again. Perhaps that has something to
do with firewalls of other issues at work that are out of my control.
Is there some way to tell if the link isn't working properly, or if it
is failing? These are two separate issues, and fighting with trying to
get links figured out when the issue is a firewall in the way or such
can be an exercise in futility.

James
VE6SRV