[Merkaartor] Drawing buildings

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Wed Sep 8 09:35:06 BST 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 05:53, Samat K Jain <lists at samat.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 07, 2010 12:33:46 pm Boris Cornet wrote:
> > A suggestion to make drawing buildings easier: snap to rectangle.
> >
> > What I mean is: While drawing, and also while dragging points of a
> > polygon, there could be a modifier key (e.g. ctrl) that would make the
> > node snap to a position where the line(s) would be in a 90 degree
> > angle.
> >
> > How about that? Seems to be even easier than the rectify tool,
> > although this is not meant to be a replacement...
>
> AFAIK this is in Merkaartor 0.17 already:
>
>  http://merkaartor.be/wiki/merkaartor/AxisAlign
>
> Indeed. But this tool is "post-fact" i.e. acting on existing geometry.

Considering that it would be cheap to implement and non-obstructive, I think
Boris'idea is a good one. It would also allow to create multi-segmented
straight roads easily.

I'd use normal keys as modifier:
- "s(quare)" for 90° snap
- "o(ctogon)" for 45° snap
- "h(exagon)" for 30° snap

and maybe others...

Now, in the same vein, I was thinking about a snapping grid, but I actually
cannot see valid use cases (and it'd be quite complicated to implement).

What do you think?

- Chris -