[Merkaartor] Drawing buildings

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Wed Sep 8 09:54:43 BST 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:43, Dirk Stöcker <openstreetmap at dstoecker.de>wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Sep 2010, Chris Browet wrote:
>
>  Considering that it would be cheap to implement and non-obstructive, I
>> think Boris'idea is a good one. It would also allow to create
>> multi-segmented straight roads easily.
>>
>> I'd use normal keys as modifier:
>> - "s(quare)" for 90° snap
>> - "o(ctogon)" for 45° snap
>> - "h(exagon)" for 30° snap
>>

> There is no need to separate between 45 and 90. Use 45.

Indeed ;-)

> But a note regarding buildings: You can't draw buildings when you do angle
> snapping only. You will never be able to close the building, as to get a
> rectangle you also need to ensure the side length of opposite sides match
> and the angle snapping can't ensure this.

True, too. But for drawing rectangle, I'd suggest the "create - rectangle"
tool, anyway ;-)
I think once you get the grip of it, you can draw any square building in a
snap.

The key is to remember that you can rotate the rectangle by pressing "SHIFT"
and still resize the rectangle after releasing the key.

- Chris -