[Merkaartor] Drawing buildings

James Hogan james at albanarts.com
Wed Sep 8 21:52:41 BST 2010

On Wednesday 08 September 2010 16:57:26 Sebastian Klein wrote:
> What I haven't found, is how to fix the overall direction. It would be
> useful if you could select 2 nodes along with the building and it would
> then be parallel to the road segment connecting these 2 nodes!

I started implementing this, but haven't finished it. I'll try and put some
effort in to get this done as I know it's been a while.

> I also miss a shortcut for Axis align which assumes Axis number of 4
> (most common case).

usually as long as the area is roughly rectilinear it'll figure out that you
want 4. Do you mean you're finding many cases where it is guessing wrong, or
that you don't want to have to click the ok button every time (in which case
I'd agree that a shortcut for 4 would be very handy)?

> The terracer tool seems to be very similar in Merkaartor and JOSM. There
> we face the problem how to specify if the house numbers go up or down.
> Apparently you have solved it by allowing to enter 1-15 and 15-1. Nice. :)

If you also select a node at one end of the terrace, it'll start numbering at
that end (otherwise its hard to know which end it would start at anyway).

> It would still be an improvement if one could easily select the street
> name from a selection of nearby roads.

Thats a good idea. Personally I prefer to use the street relation to avoid so
much duplication.

James