[Merkaartor] Feedback request: Show nodes functionality

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Thu Sep 23 09:38:29 BST 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 01:59, Boris Cornet <xxx> wrote:

> > When I deselect "Show Nodes" I'd expect only the squares to be gone,
> > but actually I can no longer select the nodes. However I can select
> > the virtual nodes, even if these are hidden as well.
>
> > If so, the fact that the virtual nodes are selectable is the bug.
> > My paradigm is that if something is not visible, it is not selectable.
>
> Well, have to object to this point of view. First of all I see little
> advantage in locked nodes. However I would see much advantage in
> locked ways to prevent accidental moving.
> Next I think "Show nodes" is definitely misleading, the current
> feature should better be named "Lock nodes" (reversed logic).
> Third I would love a "Show nodes" feature to toggle the visibility of
> the squares on ways, distinct from en/disabling them. The squares are
> useful, no doubt, but in crowded areas (many buildings etc.) they
> actually cover too much of the background. This is when I use the
> current "show nodes".
>
> --
> Best regards,
>    Boris
>
> Dear,

Would you be so kind as to give me your opinion in regard to "Show Node"
functionality in the light of Boris' comment.
I guess the two approach are valid, so I'll leave it to you.

My arguments in favor of "not visible means not selectable" are:
- I don't think having invisible nodes selectable great from an
usability/intuitiveness point-of-view
- Please take "newbies" into account; Although for experimented editors, it
is quite clear where the nodes are, it might not be so for
casual/beginning mappers...
- Having hidden nodes not selectable also allows to declutter
selection/highlight.

- Chris -