[Merkaartor] Idea for a "Paralelization" tool

Norbert Wenzel norbert.wenzel.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 12:30:31 BST 2010

On 10.09.2010 11:33, Chris Browet wrote:
> I have the idea of a "parallelization" tool. Roughly:
>
> - You'd select the segment/way/polygon to be adjusted
> - + You'd select the way it should be parallelized to
>
> Based upon the general direction of the "guiding" ways
> (quadrant-based?), the different segments of the way/polygon would be
> adjusted so that they are parallel them.
>
> Comments, suggestions welcome.

I don't think I fully understand your description of the algorithm, but
do you create any new segments? Since the parallelized line strip needs
at least as much segments as the guideline there might be a case where
you would have to create nodes. Or would you only parallelize as many
segments as the modified way has at the beginning of the algorithm?

Even if you don't change the number of segments of the way you might
still need to move some nodes of the parallelized way which could cause
some troubles with other ways using this node when moved too far.

Are there any attempts to solve this issues or are my strange theories
even issues? ;-)

Norbert