[Merkaartor] translation of data primitives

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 18:46:04 GMT 2011

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 7:04 AM, Christian Kraemer
<christian.kraemer at gmail.com> wrote:

> in german translation "Knoten" is used for "node". Despite very common
> unfortunately "Knoten" in german is "knot" and I doubt that a newbie
> will know, that "Knoten" means something like a dot or point.
> Next phrase: The OSM "way" term is "Weg" in german translation". I would
> prefer "Linie" (means line) to not have to explain why a stream is
> mapped with a "way" data primitive. (As far as I know this was valid
> only once in history :-)
> What's the situation in other languages? Did you use the OSM-terms or
> more newbie-friendly expressions?

Well that seems very unfair... why should other languages get newbie
friendly terms and those of us in English still have to deal with node
and way rather than dot and line? 8)

Obviously situations where literal translations don't make any sense
need to be looked at, and those who have an excellent knowledge of the
language need to make the best decisions possible. Will you make
everyone happy? Probably not.

James
VE6SRV