[Merkaartor] Help needed with Windows builds

Ladislav Laska laska at kam.mff.cuni.cz
Tue Jan 20 11:54:23 UTC 2015

Hi!

thanks, I already searched the binary distributions: the one from Tamas Szekes
seems to be VS only, and I really want to stick to open tools.

The others do contain a LOT of stuff, for example apache server, and I can't
install that on my dev computer, mostly due to security concerns (and I'm not
the sole user anyway). It would be only temporary anyway, since I don't wan
anyone who wants to compile merkaartor on windows to install something like
that.

The second link you sent is R related, and I'm not sure if it's useful. I'll
examine it.

I think the qt5 port is ready, and I'll merge it into master branch pretty soon.
I wanted to wait for windows testing, but as I'm unable to do it with reasonable
overhead right now, I'll probably just skip it (we can always compile with qt4
for windows for some time, it's just I wanted to be qt5-ready, when it ships to
most distros).

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 05:00:14PM +0000, Paul Bivand wrote:
> Hi
>
> Not offering to help personally, but the OSGEO site contains info on various
> binary GDAL distributions.
> https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/DownloadingGdalBinaries.
>
> Otherwise, the gdal/R link package rgdal
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rgdal/index.html
>  includes a restricted range of gdal/ogr data formats.
>
> These are differently built, some with Microsoft and some mingw compilers, but
> there are open-source projects that include gdal in their windows binaries.
>
> There may also be some experience in the KDE field with Marble, where they
> seem to be porting to qt5 as well, and have had some windows ports.
>
> Good luck
>
> Paul Bivand
>

> On Sunday 18 Jan 2015 13:49:42 Ladislav Laska wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've made some changes in the qt5 branch and think it is ready to be
> > compiled on windows. Unforunately, I don't have the time (well, it's rather
> > low priority) to set up the windows toolchain (especially gdal seems to be
> > a bit stubborn).
> >
> > Maybe someone here has the toolchain ready and would be willing to try and
> > compile the qt5 branch for windows? In the end I hope to have a script that
> > makes the compilation pretty easy, like:
> >
> > 1) Download Qt5 from qt and install it
> > 2) Run qt5-mingw shell, cd to merkaartor, and run a script that installs
> > dependencies
> > 3) qmake && make
> >
> > I'm especially not sure how to do the dependency part, since gdal uses
> > autotools, and qt environment does not seem to support autotools.
> >
> > I would love to use this to do nightly builds!
> >
> > Suggestions?

S pozdravem Ladislav Láska                          <laska at kam.mff.cuni.cz>
Katedra Aplikované Matematiky, MFF UK               tel.: +420 739 464 167