[Moderation] Revert request - Russia, Irkutsk - Evgeny Mandrikov

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 13:35:08 BST 2009

2009/10/2 Aleksandr Dezhin <a.dezhin at gmail.com>:
> 2009/10/2 John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:
>> 2009/10/2 Aleksandr Dezhin <a.dezhin at gmail.com>:
>>> I asked Eugene, that was the source of these data, to which he replied
>>> to me that this is the map drawn on the work of GPS tracks. However,
>>> the main streets are not placed on tracks uploaded to OSM.
>>
>> This in itself isn't conclusive that he didn't use GPS data, I haven't
>> uploaded most of my GPS tracks either as there is no easy way to
>> remove where I live on hundreds of GPS tracks.
>>
>> I have also received GPS tracks from grey nomads, retired people that
>> go travelling north for the winter, they don't want people to know
>> about their favourite camping/fishing spots for example.
>
> Maybe you're right. Of course he could use GPS data in a different
> datum or something else. But this is not the main problem. The main
> problem in my opinion that this was a very bad import, which seems to
> me, does not meet high quality standards of OSM.
>
> As for the rest we can debate forever) If you want, then I propose to
> continue this thread in talk at openstreetmap.org. Initially, I sent this
> post there, but received no replies.

I wasn't looking for a debate, just pointing out that a lack of GPS
tracks on it's own doesn't mean it wasn't sourced from GPS data,
however you pointed out other things that seems suspicious, and if
this really is a copy right issue this isn't the right list, it should
go to the data working group. This list is for vandelism or accidental
data problems.