[OSM-newbies] streets with multiple ways

graham graham at theseamans.net
Wed Jul 4 11:24:06 BST 2007

Hi,

What's the convention for handling streets with separate sections? I
have a number of streets which have a 2-way section followed by a 1-way
section; or which have a bridge section in the middle; or which have a
gated section; or metalled and unmetalled parts, etc.

What I've been doing is creating each section as a separate way and then
assigning all the ways the same name. Now I see osmarender repeats the
name when I do that, which makes it unreadable in many cases as the
sections are short and the names long, and so overlapping...

What should I be doing instead?

Thanks
Graham