[OSM-newbies] streets with multiple ways

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Wed Jul 4 11:57:52 BST 2007

graham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the convention for handling streets with separate sections? I
> have a number of streets which have a 2-way section followed by a 1-way
> section; or which have a bridge section in the middle; or which have a
> gated section; or metalled and unmetalled parts, etc.
>
> What I've been doing is creating each section as a separate way and then
> assigning all the ways the same name. Now I see osmarender repeats the
> name when I do that, which makes it unreadable in many cases as the
> sections are short and the names long, and so overlapping...
>
> What should I be doing instead?

This is the correct way of doing things.

You can specify use the tags |osmarender:renderName=no to disable road
name rendering. (see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmarender/Tags)

or you can wait for the renderer to get smart enough to figure this out
for itself...  (in fact I'm pretty sure the osmarender4 has a
osm-svg-beautifier script which as well as bezier curving things up will
also try to abbreviate and if it can't fit remove entirely remove the
text) but at the moment this isn't included in the tiles at home processing.

Cheers
Chris|

--
http://www.chrisfleming.org/