[OSM-newbies] Beginner in unmapped region - Adelaide, Australia

Paul Schulz pschulz01 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 13:20:11 GMT 2007

Greetings,

I have just bought myself s USB GPS receiver, and have started
recording traces around Adelaide, South Australia. Inspired by the
article in LinuxUser & Developer (Issue 67) I have subscribed to
OpenStreetMap and uploaded a couple of traces, and am very keen to map
my local area.. which is a new development and poorly services by
existing road maps.

The problem that I have now is what to do next.. there doesn't seem to
be any background image information (I get the "...more OSI coming
soon." image) if I zoom in too far on the map.

I have downloaded (compiled/installed) Merkaator, but don't understand
what the 'Upload / Download' actions are ment to do. (Download gives
me a map by Betje Wolffstraat, and the one used in the example in the
Article.. nice, but how do I get started on my own area?)

Is the idea for Merkaator to get the map data for the region I am
looking at (if so how do I set that?), load my tracks and then edit
the map (using them a a guide?) and then upload my changes?

Any help/suggestions would be appriciated, otherwise I'll just keep
creating traces :-)

Cheers, thanks in advance,
Paul (Wiki: PaulSchulz)