[OSM-newbies] Beginner in unmapped region - Adelaide, Australia

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Thu Mar 15 01:14:02 GMT 2007

Also look at  http://josm.eigenheimstrasse.de/wiki/Help for more JOSM help

David
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Oliver Maunder
  To: paul at mawsonlakes.org
  Cc: newbies at openstreetmap.org
  Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 10:51 PM
  Subject: Re: [OSM-newbies] Beginner in unmapped region - Adelaide, Australia

  Hi Paul

  On 3/14/07, Paul Schulz <pschulz01 at gmail.com> wrote:

    Sound like I should give JOSM a look. The reason I chose Merkaartor
    was that there was already a Ubuntu package available, which made
    building and installing very easy (something I know how to do). It
    should be possible to do the same thing for JOSM, which is something I
    would be interested in looking into.

  I'm using Ubuntu too - and JOSM works very nicely.

  JOSM isn't in the Ubuntu repositories - but it shouldn't be difficult to install. You need to make sure you've got Java installed (it's in the repositories as sun-java5-jre or sun-java6-jre).

  Then download JOSM from here: http://www.eigenheimstrasse.de/josm/josm-latest.jar

  Then to run it you just need to go to open a terminal window, change to the folder where you saved josm-latest.jar and type "java -jar josm-latest.jar"

  That should get you up and running. Have a look at the WIki page for more details of how to use it: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/JOSM

  Good luck!

  Olly