[OSM-newbies] Cleaning up coastal and river edges.

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Fri Mar 23 19:28:26 GMT 2007

Maarten

you may have noticed the current thread on the main talk thread entitled "Slippy Map - Mapnik Layer UK coastlines".

As a bit of background, as far as I know, most coastline data in the OSM database came from the PGS coastline import http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Almien_coastlines_%28PGS%29 , which does generate rather rough and jagged coastline data.

In the UK I then went edited the whole of England & Wales, and parts of Scotland, and smoothed out, realigned, and made other edits to the data using the Landsat overlay in JOSM.  As a result the Osmarender layer for most of the UK coastline doesn't look too bad.

The Mapnik layer however doesn't use much of that data, and as a result much of it is still jagged.

My view at the moment would be that until the issue of what to do with coastlines on the Mapnik layer is resolved then not to bother smoothing out the coastline data around Rotterdam by editing what already exists in the database.

David