[OSM-newbies] address to coordinates

Rick Collins gnuarm.2006 at arius.com
Fri Nov 2 05:49:30 GMT 2007

At 06:38 PM 11/1/2007, Jeffrey Martin wrote:
>I asked my father about his cars navigation system. It has
>a screen where he can see longitude and latitude, but
>it will not let him type in coordinates for navigation. It will
>only take addresses, and it will not give him coordinates
>if he types in the address unless he drives there.
>
>Is this normal for navigation systems?
>
>Is there  an open source translation database somewhere?

You didn't say where you are located.  There is a program,
USAPhotoMaps, that references an available data base to translate
addresses into coordinates.  I don't think it supports anywhere
outside the US. Is that what you are looking for?  If you want to
know more about it, you will likely need to download the program from
http://jdmcox.com/ and read the help file.  He tells a lot about
where he gets his data.