[OSM-newbies] sport=golf vs. leisure=golf_course

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Tue Nov 6 13:24:38 GMT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Þórir Már Jónsson" <thorirj at isavia.is>
To: <newbies at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 12:21 PM
Subject: [OSM-newbies] sport=golf vs. leisure=golf_course

I was looking at some mapping I did a few weeks ago (see
http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=64.15195&lon=-22.02729&zoom=16&layers=B0F) and
noticed that sport=golf does not get rendered.

I then did a search for golf on the map features
page(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features) and noticed that
there are two different methods for tagging golf courses.

sport=golf (the one I used) and
leisure=golf_course

Which one should I use?  Is there any difference between the two, or is one
of them redundant and should be removed?

Best regards,
Þórir Már

leisure = golf_course will render in both mapnik and osmarender I believe.
I cant see sport=golf doing anything in the rendering rules.

David