[OSM-newbies] Data layer doesn't look like track shape

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 21 23:45:54 BST 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
>Sent: 21 April 2008 9:53 PM
>To: newbies at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-newbies] Data layer doesn't look like track shape
>
>On Monday 21 April 2008 21:25:00 Christoph Eckert wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> > I've opened track1 and track1-waypoints in josm, but when I convert
>> > track1 to a data layer it looks like a child's scribble, joining the
>dots
>> > of a grid - long, zig-zags that bear no relationship to the walk I did.
>> >  What's wrong?
>>
>> no clue. Can you upload the track somewhere and provide a link?
>>
>http://www.lydgate.org/images/TrackPurged.gpx
>
>> BTW: Tracks first should get purged before converting them. gpsbabel (or
>> GUI for it like gebabbel.sf.net) can do this for you. Try
>> gpsbabel -t
>> -i gpx -f TrackOriginal.gpx
>> -x simplify,error=0.001k
>> -o gpx -F TrackPurged.gpx
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>There doesn't look to be much info there, considering I was walking for 32
>minutes.

Ann,

Can you confirm what you have the tracklog interval set at. If its not set
to 1 second interval then do so and take a walk around the block (after
getting a good fix). Then for a small walk like this don't try to convert
the GPX to a data layer, instead draw over the top to the alignment that
looks right. Walking usually gives jagged traces, cycling/driving gives
better results in that respect.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

Andy