[OSM-newbies] Detect WAAS/EGNOS mode

Lauri Hahne lauri.hahne at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 15:34:35 BST 2008

SBAS satellites generally transmit correct parameters for satellite clock,
ephemeris and ionospheric errors. Of these the ionospheric errors are the
biggest error source in regular GPS system. Ionospheric corrections are
transmitted as a map, not as single variables. The receiver locates it in
this map/grid and uses the local correction values.

The correction grid is generated from information provided by the
landstations. This method is similar to constructing a weather map and thus
the corrections you are using are always "local". If you're out of the
broadcast range, then your receiver won't do any corrections at all. Thus
all your assumptions that you're getting bad correction if you're too far
off is completely bs. The data transmitted by SBAS signals also makes it
possible to calculate accurate approximations for positioning error. Eg
EGNOS promises that using their signal, you can get about 1 metre accuracy
across Europe.

2008/4/25 Andy Robinson (blackadder) <blackadderajr at googlemail.com>:

> [...]

Lauri Hahne