[OSM-newbies] recycling area and trash disposal

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 11:56:42 BST 2008

2008/8/7 Pierre-André Jacquod <pjacquod at alumni.ethz.ch>

> But for trash / waste disposal I have the following issue: we have
> collecting points for glass which I could render with
> <tag k="amenity" v="recycling"/> and pointing out: recycling:glass=yes
> But how do I render the trash part? (That is at the same place, but
> collected trash will be burned? Just to say, buy us, we have to collect
> trash at some well-defined places, there is no pick-up in front of each
> / some houses, rural area...)
>
> I could use:
> tag k="amenity" v="waste_disposal"/>
> <tag k="waste" v="trash"/>
> but into the wiki, it is stated:
> > This tag is for places where sailors, motor boat drivers, canal
> > boaters, caravanners etc. can dispose of rubbish (trash/waste).
> which is definitively not the case.

Honestly, form the description you've given it actually sounds like it IS
the same thing.

In the case of  sailors, motor boat drivers, caravanners etc, it is
indicating a place where the council will pick up rubbish for disposal,
which sounds exactly like your description.

> Using recycling:trash=yes seems me also a bit strange... that is not
> exactly recycling... but would be most probably the more accurate way to
> map it?

This I would not think made sense, as you said, it is most definitely not
being re-cycled in the typical sense.

Doug