[OSM-newbies] map fearures in XML

Lars Francke lars.francke at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 09:45:22 BST 2008

Hi,

not about the mapping features (I assume you mean the different tags)
itself. And there can't be because you are free to use every tag you
like. You can tag a road as street=big if you like but chances are
that you will never see it rendered on a map (at least one you don't
render yourself).

Your best bet would be this wiki page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features which tries to
capture the common tags people use (or which they should use). But it
is often better to just look at Tagwatch
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tagwatch) which analyzes the
data in OSM and checks which tags people actually use.

This is the DTD for the currently used API but I don't think it is
what you are looking for:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Protocol_Version_0.5/DTD