[OSM-newbies] Problem with sendmap

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 19:12:10 BST 2008

Luca Delucchi wrote:
> Hi, i tried sendmap for upload osm map on my garmin vista hcx, but i
> have this error
>
> luca at debianluca:~/programmi$ ./sendmap17Lstatic /dev/ttyUSB0
> -u /home/luca/63240001.img
> GPS SendMap & GetMap version 17, Kozicki at gps.chrisb.org
>
> Checking input files
> Not a valid file: /home/luca/63240001.img
>
> why i have this error?
>
> thank's
> Luca

I suspect the answer to the query is, 1) because you have the flaky
garmin kernel driver installed, which will get you later, & 2) because
you need to make a gmapsupp.img file; add the switch to mkgmap (as in,
java -Xmx640M -jar ./mkgmap.jar -gmapsupp input-files )

If it's from a single .osm file then renaming /home/luca/63240001.img to
/home/luca/gmapsupp.img should work.

Not the answer to the actual question, but why bother?

If you put the Garmin HCx to USB mode (main menu, setup, interface, USB
mode..) you can just copy gmapsupp.img to /media/whatever/garmin/  -
unmount, reboot (the HCx..) & voila..

Mark