[OSM-newbies] Typically, how long lo load a planet file?

Milenko milenko at king-nerd.com
Sat Dec 20 20:31:30 GMT 2008

Writing to pgsql on my machine took about a day with most of the indexing removed.

The bzip2 algorithims in java are pretty slow.  It's usually quicker to do something like "bzcat planet-081217.osm.bz2 | ./osmosis --rx file=/dev/stdin --blah blah blah.

Note that the planet expands to about 150GB in raw form, so your 100GB HD will not be enough.

-Jeremy