[OSM-newbies] Making Garmin eTrex Vista responsive to a Linux system

Johannes Huesing johannes at huesing.name
Fri Dec 26 08:12:01 GMT 2008

Dear mappers,
could anyone point me to a good site walking me through the process of
making the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx addressable with gpsbabel from my
Linux system?

As of now, I tried to follow the steps described in the page gpsbabel
points me to:

http://www.gpsbabel.org/os/Linux_Hotplug.html

Being a user of Ubuntu Hardy Heron myself, I have now added the file named
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules with the following contents:

UBSYSTEM!="usb_device", SYSFS{idVendor}=="091e", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0003", GOTO="garmin_rules_end"
ACTION!="add", GOTO="garmin_rules_end"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="091e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0003", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev"
LABEL="garmin_rules_end"
UBSYSTEM!="usb_device", SYSFS{idVendor}=="091e", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0003", GOTO="garmin_rules_end"
ACTION!="add", GOTO="garmin_rules_end"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="091e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0003", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev"
LABEL="garmin_rules_end"

and restarted udev using udevadm trigger.

The system still reacts to my gpsbabel approaches

gpsbabel -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F blah.gpx

with

usb_set_configuration failed, probably because kernel driver ''
 is blocking our access to the USB device.
For more information see http://www.gpsbabel.org/os/Linux_Hotplug.html

Surely I should deactivate kernel driver ''?

That being said (partly out of frustration), I must admit that I admire
the skill and effort that many have put into making up for insufficient
documentation and support by the device vendor that Santa just rewarded
by handing them over money for the specimen that rests on my desk.

--
Johannes Hüsing               There is something fascinating about science.
                              One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture