[OSM-newbies] Strange rectangular blue areas

Jason Reid osm at bowvalleytechnologies.com
Mon Feb 11 03:13:59 GMT 2008

topo at joelertola.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been working mostly on Manhattan's West Side Highway. Adding
> connecting details and oneway street directions. I also edited
> Manhattan's coast line to add more detail.
>
> I thought I needed to wait until Wednesday to see the results of my
> work. But I just found out that I can see what I have done in the
> Osmarender base layer.
>
> I noticed something real bad when I looked. There are big rectangular
> areas of blue covering a lot of land:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=40.7891&lon=-73.9939&zoom=12&layers=0BFT
>
> Is this a problem that I might have accidentally caused? Or is it some
> Osmarendar rendering problem that has nothing to do with me? If I
> caused this can I fix it?
>
> -Joe Lertola

Typically that is the result of the coastline in that area not being
fully connected yet, but it is fixable. The osmarender layer uses the
actual coastline ways, so those will appear updated as soon as its next
rendered. If you look at
http://tile.openstreetmap.nl/coastlines.html?lat=40.7891&lon=-73.9939&zoom=12
it shows where the errors in the coast line are for that view of the
map, in this case it looks like there are a few problems just east of
North Arlington that need to be fixed (coastline has the rule of water
on the right, which is the most common error along with breaks in the
ways that delineate the coast).

-Jason Reid