[OSM-newbies] Interfacing with Garmin eTrex

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 20 12:42:59 GMT 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> This is my first effort, using a borrowed eTrex.  I have my first track on the
> gps, and have bought a RS232 to USB interface as my laptop doesn't have a
> serial port.  My OS is Linux.

:-)

> I have set the interface to NMEA OUT - I think someone told me this was best,
> but I can't find where I read it.

No. Set it to Garmin.

I suggest that you install gpsbabel - that will enable you to collect
tracks etc with a command like
  gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f /dev/ttyS1  -o gpx -F track.gpx

If you use a camera as well, gpscorrelate is very useful.
gpsman is also extremely comprehensive and can also read (and write)
directly to eTreks as well as almost everything else.

> Now what?  How do I get the info from the
> Garmin onto my laptop?

gpsbabel as above.

> Sorry for so many questions, but getting started is always the hard bit :-)

The gpsman documentation is a challenge for a newbie. Well worth the
effort.

ael